"When he saw the crowds, he had compassion for them, because they were harassed and helpless, like sheep without a shepherd. Then he said to his disciples, 'The harvest is plentiful, but the laborers are few, therefore pray earnestly to the Lord of the harvest to send out laborers into his harvest" Matt. 9:36-38

Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Today, I become a blogger

Hello everyone!  It's due time that I start writing in my blog seeing that I leave in six days! 

Here are some of the things I've been up to recently. 
*Speaking at churches.  I had the privilege to speak at Autumn Ridge Church (where I attended youth group in high school), Trinity Presbyterian Church (where I grew up going to church) and CityLife Church (where I attend church in the twin cities).  It has been such a blessing sharing my story with so many people.  I was so encouraged by the number of people that came up to me after the services telling me they'd be praying for me. 
* Support raising.  God has continued to show his faithfulness to me through working in the hearts of many people.  By his grace and the generosity of friends, family, and even strangers, I have reached my financial goal and am 100% supportered!  Thank you to everyone who prayed that God would provide and thank you to those who gave so sacrificially.
* Reading.  I was encouraged to get the book Where There Is No Doctor.  It's a very helpful reference book that talks about rural village health care.  I have been flipping through it and becoming familiar with things I may encounter in rural Uganda.
*Packing.  I typically find packing very easy as I throw things in my room into a duffel bag and call it good.  Looking at my sports bag, it was pretty obvious it would not make the cut for this trip, nor would my summer above the knee skirts as they are considered immodest.  So, packing for 9 months to a place I've never been has been more of a challenage than packing for a trip up north.  All in all, I've found all the things I need and am for the most part done.  I have also been packing medical supplies I received from the Mayo Clinic warehouse as well as from my doctor friend Kate.  I was able to buy over the counter medications the orphanage said they needed such as hemorrhoid ointment and stool softeners (what I have to look forward to:) ) with cash several people had given me. 
*Getting technologized.  Yes, I now have itunes and skype on my computer.  My computer is pretty slow in the U.S. so I'm hoping these things work while I'm in Uganda.  Regardless, I'm now welcomed into the 21st century. 
*Seeing people and saying goodbyes.  I've already said goodbye to Rochester people and now the process begins with twin cities people.  It's hard to think about not seeing friends and family for 9 months, but then I remind myself of where I'm going, who I'll be serving, and why I'm going.  I'm so excited to meet the kids at GSF and love on them.  I'm excited to be there nurse, friend, and Sunday school teacher.  I'm excited to meet my teammate Sarah and then other staff at GSF and serve alongside them.  This keeps me positive and upbeat in a time where many tears are shed. 

So, that's about where I am now.  Friday, my housemates are throwing a going away party for me, Sunday I commission from CityLife Church at 4:00pm , and Monday I leave for New York for orientation and from there take off the 20th to Uganda.  Time keeps flying and before I know it, I will be too :). 

Prayer requests:
*That some difficult goodbyes will go smoothly
*That I would rely on God's truths when I am fearful about this next step
*Safety in traveling

I am so thankful to know I'm not going alone and I have a strong support group who will be praying for me.  You all are great!

With love,
   meredith



   

No comments:

Post a Comment